Friday 24 February 2012

Ken Matsuzaki

Just a quick post as I'm not feeling so good, but saw this when I was checking my facebook messages and the combination of glaze and pattern caught my eye. This huge platter is apparently in the region of 76 to 96cm AFTER firing! That takes an insane amount of skill. If I get the chance I'd love to see the exhibition.


Ken Matsuzaki
松崎健大皿展
直径76cm〜96cmまでの大皿30枚だけの個展
30枚それぞれが世界をもっています。
東日本大震災復興支援特別企画展
宇都宮 青木ギャラリー
☎028-639-0307 "



It you happen to be able to be in Utsunomiya-shi, Tochigi-ken, Japan in time for this exhibition.....check out some fantastic huge platters from a great ceramist. (And some proceeds of salesare going to the reflief efforts too.)"



I took a look at Matsuzaki san's facebook page after reading John's message and found a couple more pictures - a platter before firing:


Matsuzashi sans shard pile - apparently half of these are pots damaged by the big earthquake. I saw another potter's shard pile while in Tokyo, and they're actually very beautiful with the mix of dead leaves, twigs, and shimmering glazes all over the floor. In this setting it no longer matters that the pots are broken, they take on a new life and meaning of their own as artificial stones and rocks:



Shards of oribe glazed ware among the leaves at Shigemasa Higashida san's studio in Tokyo when I visited:

No comments:

Post a Comment