Tuesday 28 February 2012

3D printing for all! :D

This is amazing - anyone can make a 3D object in CAD software, send the design to http://www.shapeways.com/ and order as many or few copies as they want of the design printed in 3D! You can even sell your designs through that website. This would provide a fantastic way of mass producing bread and butter type work, and you get a choice of material to have your design printed in, even ceramics, glass and precious metals. Although, at the moment it is not clear whether you get a choice of finish with the ceramics. I'd be really interested in trying this out for myself. I wonder if they can print origami? Actually, I wonder if I'd be able to construct it on a computer.......

I found out about this through Michael Eden who was asked to give a talk at uni. He's a ceramicist who has gone from throwing and slip trailing to using modern technology and computers to make his work, and he's created some fascinating pieces based on coil potting (but 3D printed of course) and the codes used by smart phones to access websites and info. I love the intricacy and detail he can achieve as well as the heavy cyber influence, since I've been looking for a way to involve the more gadgetty and robotic side of modern Japan in my work to contrast with the traditional.









No comments:

Post a Comment