Tuesday 7 February 2012

Tokoname Teapots on Facebook


For anyone interested in Japanese teapots, this is a really good page on facebook. I came online tonight and this maple leaf one caught my eye - it's so delicate and simple.

http://www.facebook.com/japanesquestyle

There's also a website, but it's in Japanese. I'm trying to organise to go and do work experience with a potter in Japan, and now I'm having fun browsing this page with all the different clays they use - it would seem that their clay bodies all fire a bit lower than I am used to firing. There's a nice range of terracottas and darker browns (even a black), as well as a soft creamy white (although I don't think it's porcelain, as it's labelled shiroi do, which means white clay, and not jiki, which means porcelain): http://www.japan-net.ne.jp/~yakimono/
It looks like you can buy bags of it from this page. Very tempting.

I've been thinking about trying out some terracotta again for a while, it might be nice to do some earthier, darker work to contrast the white, and it will allow me to get used to the clay bodies I'll probably be working with out there. We'll see if I have time this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment